It’s here: #give10, Year 2.
Ever since we finished up year one of #give10, I’ve been master planning what to do in the way of giving for the next 365 days. Thanks to all of you who’ve been patiently waiting and asking. An even more gigantic thanks to those of you who’ve been keeping #give10 going with your own joy and generosity while we’ve been quiet.
So, what have I really been doing since March 1? Well, after a whole year of giving every day and staying up way too late at night scouring the globe for people changing the world, I needed a really long nap. After that I did a little #give10 year in review to define what made giving away money everyday so awesome this past year. I tried to narrow it to a top three- but it was so amazing, I couldn’t pick fewer than four reasons it rocked my universe:
Most amazing things about #give10 year one:
1. Daily discovering all the new projects, causes, people and organizations making a difference blew me away!
2. Old and new friends caught onto the giving spirit in big and small ways. I was especially amazed by generous strangers.
3. Hearing actual stories of change and connecting with the causes we’d invested in.
4. Practical lessons I learned about the do-gooding world from being a daily donor. (And I thought I knew it all from working in non-profits for so long)
I decided these four things should make up the foundation for the journey we took for #give10’s second year, so I put these lessons into my magic hat and had a long think about what would make an amazing giving year sequel.
First, the Goal
Every good plan must have a goal. Last year’s #give10 goal was to prove to myself that even after 15 years of working in the humanitarian world, do-gooding is still worth it and giving can bring change. Goal accomplished. This year, the goal is less about me. I’m going to keep going because I want to prove three things to you and to the disbelieving universe:
1. There are amazing people changing the world- and anyone can become one of them.
2. Causes, projects, and charities can be good and accountable.
3. Changes can happen.
So, here’s the giving plan
In simple, we’re going to keep giving to more new projects and give more to the projects we already love.
One time a week we’ll give 10$ to a new project just like we did everyday last year. Since we love discovering and sharing new causes, we really want to keep doing this even though we’re switching the rest of things up a bit.
The new part of the #give10 project will focus on learning more about the most awesome projects we discovered last year. We’ll be picking the top 52 causes that have already put last year’s $10 to good use and explore them a little more. We’ll focus on one of these projects per week, make a little bit bigger investment in their work, and take some time to learn about their stories and what makes them so great. It’s a #give10 x 10 of sorts: 1 cause x 100$ a week x 52 weeks.
And all those practical lessons I learned last year about the wonderful world of giving and non-profit accountability and social media for good? Watch this space.
This is awesome. What can I do?
When I talk about #give10, I always say we, because I truly believe it’s all of us that need to each do what we can to make a difference. If you want to be an active part of the amazing year to come, here’s a few practical ways you can help:
1. Pass it on: share the #give10 story and come back often to see what we’ve got to say (or sign up so you don’t miss anything)
2. Join the others who’ve caught the giving fever and try your own #give10 (or some version of it) for a day, a week, a year.
3. Share the projects you love. Write it in the comments, on twitter or facebook. We’re looking for at least 52 more great ones or nominate your favorites causes we’ve already given to be part of the #give10x10.
Let the giving begin!